The Final weeks of Pregnancy
Whoa… it’s almost baby time! This week is all about preparation because next week I am gong to be full term. Actually that’s not true. I used to think that, but turns out that is “outdated” information. Things have already changed since my last baby!
As USA Today reports (2 years ago)
“Generations of mothers-to-be have heard that babies born any time between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy were “at term” — neither too early nor too late. But that is now officially outdated wisdom.
A pregnancy is “full term” only in the narrower two-week window that starts at 39 weeks, under new definitions published in the journal Obstetrics & Gynecology and endorsed by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine.”
Here is the new rundown
• Early term: Between 37 weeks 0 days and 38 weeks, six days
• Full term: Between 39 weeks and 40 weeks, six days
• Late term: Between 41 weeks and 41 weeks, six days
• Post term: 42 weeks and beyond
I found this to be interesting. 37 weeks is still significant though because if I went into labor this week it would be considered “preterm” and therefor high risk. So I would be admitted to the hospital. If I went into labor next week it would be “early term”, but low risk, normal, and healthy. I would have the green light to give birth at the birthing center as planned.
So this week is all about getting stuff done in preparation for baby girl (whose name I am still anxious to announce. I might cave!)
Clean out freezer and refrigerator. Stock freezer.
Look at mini van options
- Tuesday- Research Study (this is not pregnancy related, but it’s an appointment I was already committed to)
- Wednesday- Appointment with Midwife, GBS test, scope out hospital and hotel routes with mom
- Thursday- WIC appointment (I am getting Ezie, the baby, and I signed up for the women, infants, children nutrition program)
- Friday- Appointment at birth center to finalize preregistration paperwork and discuss birth plan!
- Saturday- Dad watches kids so J and I can have our “baby moon”
So I have something scheduled everyday and most of it is all baby related. Next week I’ll be packing my bags getting the house ready!!! Hopefully we will have a van by then because that is the last major necessity that has to be taken care of ahead of time. We have a major prospect lined up, but we still have some praying to do before we pull the trigger on it.
Chances are I won’t have the baby until 39 weeks, but I would rather be prepared ahead of time. At least to the best of my abilities, nothing ever works out exactly like I plan. It’s just like when I throw birthday parties. My mind is reeling with to do lists and I think I am covering all the details, but it never fails that I am frantically trying to pull it together at the last minute! It always works out though. This is just another birthday. It’s the birth day and I can’t wait to find out when and how it will all take place.